Give and Take by Adam Grant: Part 6 – the art of motivation maintenance

IPart 1 I Part 2 I Part 3 I Part 4 I Part 5 I Part 6 I

Givers as doormats:-

If people give too much time, then they end up making sacrifices for their collaborators and network ties, at the expenses of their own energy.  If those who are givers give too much it easy for them to become doormats or pushovers.  As a consequence some givers give up exhausted.  Grant writes of some research into Canadian Caregivers.  Yes they are “other” focused but the best givers scored high on self-interest.  There is an interesting interplay of self interest and other interest.

The ‘otherish’ focus:-

Selfless givers are people with a high focus on ‘other’ interest and low focus on ‘self-interest’. They are sometimes the university students who miss class to help others and fail themselves.  Takers are seen as selfish and failed givers as selfless and successful givers are otherish.  They care about benefiting others but have ambitious goals  for advancing their own interests.  Research also showed that to recharge and recover may involve cutting back but there is evidence that giving more helps and energy returns.

Givers  without cause: –

Takers perform well  when collecting money for a university for scholarships.  Givers started to do even better when the saw the letters of the benefits of the scholarships from students.  This also reflects on giver burnout.  It has less to do with the amount of giving and more with the amount of  feedback about the impact of giving.  There is an effect of what is known as the “compassion fatigue”.  They don’t burn  out from giving they burn out from not being able to help effectively.  Another example about a CT exam – diagnostic accuracy increased by 46% when there was a single patient’s photo on the scan.

Otherish choice:-

Chunking, sprinkling and the 100 hour rule of volunteering –in giving those who chunk their giving rather than sprinkling it out achieved gains in happiness.  In chunking you see the benefits of your work.  Also instead of fight and flight the approach that works for givers is tend and befriend.

Myth of giver burnout: –

There is evidence that ensuing happiness can motivate people to work harder, smarter  and more effectively.  Richard Branson was giving long before he became rich and famous.

Reflection:-

If you cannot get your own ‘act’  together you are no good for anyone else.