AHISA 2016 Day 3

Unedited notes

AHISA 2016 Day 3

Keynote
Dr Barbara Spears
Nothing about us without us: youth voice and participatory co design for interventions

image

University of SA was a Primary Schiool Teacher

Cyber bullying, bystander behaviour….

@BarbaraASpears

How do we move students on councils to be co designers researchers of the work we do in schools.

Key areas to examine – challenges, situating youth, change in school practices, youth as co researchers and youth voices.

Everything we do must be evidence informed.

Challenge – when were you born in relation to the web, do we use the tools the way our youth do, socialising occurs on and offline, traditional research and ire entire processes in a changing technological setting, doing science and gathering evidence New Phenomenon =research rush but what does it mean at a practical level, how best to gather the information , translation to policy and practice, three cultures on a shared mission (scientists, policy designers, deliver on the policies the teachers ), tensions between these worlds, designing effective prevention and intervention strategies ( universal, rapid response targeted strategy), effective implementation (are we all on the same page ), the context in which we operate ( we are not the experts we are people with wisdom) and what happens when we invert this whole process?

In different contexts their is different normalities.

Situating childhood from passive to engaged. They are social actors and agents and have the right to voice their opinion. Check 2014 UNICEF Digital Rights of the Child.

Reframe cyber bullying – this is where participatory methods are important.

If there is no meaning for you you will not embrace change. Adults have not experienced cyber bullying.

Check Hart’s ladder of participation

Prensky has moved from digital natives to digital wisdom for youth.

Don’t build websites – young people don’t go there. Look up Keep it tame, Appeciate a mate, something haunting you and Goalzie.

If you want to change culture start with social Norms

Text and tweet like you will end up in court. Dance as if no one was watching you.

We are the end point of research – we can tip this.
Panel of Principalship

image

70% of Australia’s 10000 Principals retire in 5 years.

Jane Wilderness School, Nick Hately Rebecca Clarke and Cain McDonald

Wilderness Jane Danvers
English teacher In same school and came back. Becoming a Principal comes as a surprise. Creating a world that is better for us. Say yes when things come across your path. Some times the opportunities don’t come at the right time. I am glad I did not know everything when I did start. I do know it is a whole of life – hours are not yours. It becomes the rhythm of your life. Networks important in times of need it can be lonely.

Trinity College Gawler

PDHPE and science teacher. 3700 students employ 700 people. Right place at right time. When a Head you don’t get to hear the discussion about decisions passed down. People in leadership have additional information. Loneliness and burden. Lot of people have intellectual abilities but emotional abilities is very important and need to grow as a person. Working with Board perspective important. Deputies are skewed to teachers. Best way to get another job is to do a great job in your current job. If you don’t want to be judged not do it. I want the staff to know I am all in but not at the expense of your family. Leadership philosophy – people have not thought about it – right people right places, set the direction and live the sculpture and standards of the school.
Rebecca Clark Walford School

New kid on block and aging pretty quickly.
What I did not realise that the leading had started anyway very early. At age 23 was a middle level leader. Be able to say yes not because of strategic opportunities but because I wanted to be involved. Need to align ourselves with the school you want to live. Balancing a blended young family of four children. You need people in your family to support you. I wish I realised how heavily invested I would be e optionally – it is hard to switch off. It never leaves you.

Cain McDonald a Lutheran College Tatachilla?

Knew I was going to be a teacher of history. Don’t go back to ‘your’ school till you have been elsewhere

Outdoor education teacher in a girls school, then faculty coordinator and temporary daily coordinator. Served on a lot of committees. Outside still involved in history and became involved in HTA Victoria. Chance meeting at Croydon Pub – we need to get you into a Lutheran schools. Took job and did not know at this point the Principal was retiring and then put my hand up. When are you leaving us? Interesting question but needs to be thought about. Hard transition moving interstate. Importance of models, mentors coaches – conscious and structured. Been describes as emotionally stable don’t worry what people think of me but would worry if they felt I did not support them. Thrive on the ability to work with a whole range of people.

Questions

Have you applied and missed out and how did that effect you? Yes it has to be the position that you think you are going to get and will invest in the process. Dust yourself off and get on with it. There is a danger in over applying for every position – desperate for a leadership or desperate to get out of a situation. There is a line yes we would give you the job but there is someone is more suited to the position. Are you the right fit for that job.

New Principals what would be the first thing when you go into the role? The really successful ones high quality relationships not the slash and burn model – get to know your community and culture. People are highly invested in that. In addition, no matter what you are inheriting , (remediation, risk or strong), you are going in behind someone else – need to respect this. In first few weeks many people wanted to tell me what was wrong. So listen and need to establish priorities. Respect the narrative of the place you are coming into. You do need to put your mark fairly early – acknowledge the students first.

Workshop

Mark Smith Toward autonomy and beyond: 21st Century learning

image

Gifted and Talented Coordinator Mentone Gramma School
PDHPE teacher said he struggled to engage with the profession. That is I have to be able to do more. I feel I am innovative and wanted the opportunities to do things. Tells the story as his journey over the years

Discussed embedded formative assessment – teaching is hard – Dylan Wiliam

Comments are so much more important. Encourage student collaboration.

Reinvention as a new teacher or do I consider an new vocation. Post Grad Cert in Gifted Education. Empowering access to knowledge and skills. What works? Inquiry learning tasks with clear learning intentions and clear success criteria.

Could a mentor be used in an inquiry based class? Could this proved an answer to engage students. Started very small Maths Talent Quest. Focus formalise inquiry questions, weekly short term goals, weekly progress check, engage students to challenge their thinking, encourage student reflection take a personal interest and offer advice.

Build a series of mentors who would work with students for 10 weeks. All students entered the competitions but some wanted to be mentored. Next stage students wanted to do the process themselves with out a mention and they still would do well in the competitions.

Mentoring 16 of the top Year 12 students.
Look up
Grit Angela Lee Duckworth
Growth mind Set Carol Dweck
The resilience project Hugh van Cuylengurg
Dr Erica McWilliam ‘meddler in the middle’ the ability to unlearn and relearn for oneself.
Dr Jim Watters and Dr Carmel Diezmann

Now to implement this in your school? You have to be very disciplined he teachers 5 lessons and mentors 60 students a week. One on three can work. One on class can work. Provide PD and use your staff experts. Target Year 12 able and those most fragile.

Several years on what has been learnt? Tailors rich learning opportunities or differentiation, encourages risk taking with support, encourages student confidence which is transferable models a process how to learn and what to learn hence autonomy, enhances our pose of class, empowers students to know, can see relative auto only empowers them to be autonomous researchers and learners, become very active participant, enter collaboration with more confidence, builds high student expectation in them selves , assists in building reader academic culture in the school and provided invaluable skills for life after school. Had to add a community project module for groups of five. Students wanted to become mentors for younger students.

A school with a growing academic culture. Last year of 16 students ATAR 93-99 one 93 the rest over 95 and 9 over 99.

His passion as a teacher is reignited. He has found his place in a area that is the best for me.
Keynote
Brendan Spillane
Performance patters a reflection of what high performing leaders pay attention to

image

Executive Coach business, education and elite sports.

International OUR Network Group presenter on international conference Thinking. Cultural change feedback systems and skills for crucial conversations. Leaders to take personal responsibility. Was a Principal. Looks at high performing people.

218 nights on the road last year, lot of time to think and be alone and time in the Qantas Club. 20% business 40 sport and 4O education

Story teller.

Thank you what you do.

Bill O’ Brien the success of any intervention depends on the interior condition of the intervener

Talk about the performance pattern people get things done in busy world. It would be good to meet as people not positions. Give yourself permission to be here.

You get the session you deserve. The presence your bring to the session gives you the session you deserve.

We are only people through other people. Avoid weapons of mass distraction into your pockets.

VUCA Volitility Uncertainity, complexity ambiguity.

Why do smart people live with a stupid dynamic.

Nicholas Carr The Shallows 2010

His teenager is a screenager.

We are the frontier for young people. The future is a place still worth going to. Adults laugh to give children a reason to grow up.

High performance. Energy not time is the key to high performance. Jim Loehr

Schools run on discretionary effort – things you don’t ask for.

Where I was and where I am.

Do you live with absence or presence in your work.

I have a lot of fun in my life but not enough joy his son asked him. We can learn off our children. Outside of me everything looks good. Inside me I am busy and no joy. I used to have joy when you had time for me. I lost touch with having joy and giving joy – presence and energy.

New Zealand rugby they do it well. Worked with super 15 coaches. PM personal meaning time. Our job is to turn what you do the concept into tools. At teacher who is not a learner is like a mountaineer who does not climb. Student – have you been there? Don’t just point to the summit.

Presence not planning is the fundamental currency of school performance – there are people upstream. Need to walk upstream to see what the issue is. Solving with band aids issues which could be solved better what we know is what is wrong. Don’t close the door with strategic planning.

Giving up
Keeping up
Speeding up
Standing up

What do they do to protect presence, space to the performance pattern.

Did work with Rio bound NZ coaches. Who among you is influential – they all said Paul. The first thing he said. If I cannot do my work under these values I cannot do it

‘Everyone if fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind . Always.’

teaching imperfect ably job done by perfectionists

Features

What leadership stance?

1
They know it’s not about them. Looking for ecosystem not ego system. Some leaders see venous twice a day when they clean their teeth. There is a shift to collaborative leaders though traditional leadership is important but not the default setting. When less is personal there is less to defend.

More than literacy and numeracy – there is more to being human. When they leave us they know there is a place for them. Don’t fail childhood.

Confidence and humility can be together.

Is it say to talk in your meetings?

2

All of these people get strong feedback on their impact. Intention and impact are not the same thing. People too unaware that they are unaware. What is it like to be led by you?

3

They don’t plan for journeys they know they will. Planning needs to be in sections with a sense of direction. You need to know you are going to Hobart on a boat. Do we over plan teacher observation. Presence not planning. Teachers are the heroes- are they present. The plan gives you freedom to go off the plan. Prototype and iterate – people and great planes for one to one the day before the laptop came out.

4
They don’t lose sight of what they asking people to do. Principal remember to be teacher. Now do we know they are life long learning. Are you running when you need to be running? Are you working when you need to be? Teachers feel like air traffic controllers. Upstream of performance are people – don’t just get now people and flog them. What does the airspace for your team look like.

5

They find ways to increase the total quantity of power. They give people budget and autonomy to others. Give other people permission to have power. I have passed the ball but was it the right time and right person on the fiend if not I have caused the problem. Leave freedom to paint within the constraints of the canvas. Hierarchy and heterachy ie is many voices needed.

6

They have appreciative mindsets. People need to be valued. Worth right now and potential. Now and the next. Do you plan crucial conversations to tell them how much they are valued.

7

They achieve narrative coherence – narrative clarity. Not like a jig saw puzzle and not given lid. Leaders say it’s there a lid? Data and story.

8

They ask outrageous questions. What do we have to keep getting better and when are we there. Can we take something off the fire and still be great. How would I lead differently if my group were volunteers. Hospital 12 minute video of ceiling because that is what patients look at.

Do we have any invisible children here?

Do something with the concepts. Be of good heart in your noble professions.