Buddist Talk – mindfulness
by Father David
June 6 2014
Leadership: the spiritual murmurs are inside us in order to create a relationship. Spirit works to bring people out of exclusion. Vital has a vital part to play in this.
Leadership in society today is not trusted.
Who exercises for you the greatest amount of leadership in the school and society? They are not necessarily the people in the leadership position. So a definition: leadership is creating the experience of community. Marie Bashir is in a leadership position but has spent her whole life bringing people together.
Leadership is about people, people,people and bringing them in from the margin into relationships with others.
Leadership is about dying into oneself and brining life into others. Put ourselves second and bring life into others.
Isolation – recognize the possibility in others and bring something out of them.
How aligned is the person I am leading to the vision? “Now that is something to get up for in the morning”.
Speak possibility: as the new way of being.
Rule Number 6 – not taking your needs and desired too seriously. BTW – there are no other rules.
End of the hunting season in human experience. Now we are dependent on intellect, creativity…it is about us.
Environment of A:- you don’t have to be there yet you just have move into an A environment.
Upward spiral and a downward spiral is the same thing.
The conductor of an orchestra does not make a sound. -just gestures and eye movements for leadership – silence.
Martin Luther King did not say this: I have a dream but I am not sure if the people are ready for it yet.
Great leaders see and make new pathways. Lead from everywhere you stand.
Take care how well you listen. -for the one who has will be given more. The more we listen the more the world will open for us. – Luke
We can never change another person, we can care for them. This gives them space so they can change.
Everyone gets an A – possibility to live into not an expectation.
Don’t tell me what to do – tell me how it could be.
Ubuntu: – the essence of being human. You cannot exist as a human in isolation. You cannot be a human all by yourself. You are known for your generosity.
Developing cultures of encouragement: son of encouragement Barnabas. Encourage is to draw the heart out of each other. He encouraged the great Missionary St Paul. He recognized a possibility in Paul. Then they had a falling out when he saw a possibility in Mark.
The more attentive we are to one another we can develop gratitude. Then there is the power of the word thank you.
Encourage:- attentive, gratitude, care and readiness to be surprised.
Live our life awake to awaken others. We can do this by exercising leadership.
Staff Retreat 2013
We started off the retreat with a meditation session which involved three sections.
It was lead by Giles Barton
The first was a mindfulness meditation, then a breathing session followed by a metta session which uses the following expressions.
“May I be well, happy and peaceful and be free of stress, illness and worry in body in mind”
This was followed up by a presentation by Dr Rachael Kohn – addressing the criticism
A very well presented and clever viewpoint outlining eight views against religion and the logical deconstruction of these arguments.
- Religion puts you on the outer. Rather it is becoming inclusive. Look at all the versions. Being on the outer can be by society by attacking religion not due to religion itself.
- Religion is divisive and tribal and only interested in its own survival. It actually binds people giving people a sense of identity. James 11 religion a human right in the same way we should not put blacks in jail based on completion.
- To admit to being religious is to be accused as intolerant bigot. Being against gay marriage is a statement of belief but not a license to attack the position.
- Reluctance to admit to being Christian because it is linked to colonialism. Fact if history it brought pain and prosperity.
- Religion causes wars at the moment Islam – there is a lot of truth to this. Today there is a small but brave voice for a peaceful expression of Islam. Passages need to be read in their historical context. Religion teaches and maintains the peace. Religious leaders can pump their fists but they also look after people.
- The secular philosophers and rationalists believe believing in God is like believing in fairies. Hope is important allows for fulfillment.
- Religion is about behavior therefore any system will
suffice. Difference between doing something because it works and doing what is right.
- Religion is always organised to perpetuate itself. Is true it covers up its mistakes and mispractices. Of course the problem is true of the military schools hospitals. The church is no different though it should be. There are people who speak out and we need to give them more strength.
The Nones not Nuns on the census might be involved in a range of different spiritual models. Northumberland community. Atheist church 300 people starts with Alice Cooper readings Alice in wonderland and a lecture (preaching) of physics atoms.
Check book- Monastery of the heart. Also Hear the heart of ancient wisdom by – urban missionaries.
Go to her website My spiritual diary.
Engaging the spiritual core listen those with in you core as well as those outside. Mary Ward.
To the atheists where do you go when things are really bad? AC Grayling has written a secular Bible.
- We can re- imagining lives – ours and others.
- Justice the restorer of the streets we live in.
- See it, name it and change it.
- Love is the key ethical consideration.
- Sometimes we do like the people we love but it is not a defining feature.
- To love is to want for everyone. The great feast of love. ” Life is a great feast. A feast for everyone.”
- Eucharist is central to justice – it is the meal of life.
- Grounding justice – spirituality of justice looking within what is asked of me.
- the non negotiability of justice
- in the struggle for justice… we may never, no matter how moral passionate or urgent our cause, mimic the very violence disrespect and egotism we are trying to change.
- avoid a divided life- be authentic
- Father Michael Kelly it is secularly scrutiny that will save the church.
- We need to renounce something.
- How you treat the poorest person is how you treat God.
- At our school we cannot separate separate Mary ward and justice from freedom, justice and sincerity and the other values.
- Be seekers of truth and doers of justice
- In a spirit of gratitude we unite for justice.
- The key thing for the education for justice is that the girls keep doing things.